Friday, July 11, 2008

Fossils


I used this recipe for "Coffee Ground Fossils" (great site - annoying pop-up). I mixed the dough the night before and made individual balls, wrapped them in plastic wrap and squashed them flat. When I mixed the dough, I found it to be more batter-like than desirable, so I added another 1/2c. salt and 1c. flour. It was still soft and sticky the next day. they left it out for a few hours to stiffen up and managed some fossils. I had to move them off of the kitchen table for dinner, and they lost some definition... so I'm not sure I'm 100% thrilled with the recipe. I think I may have gone wrong with the coffee grounds. we are NOT coffee drinkers, so my ILs put some in a Ziploc for us. They were still damp, but not dripping when I added them. perhaps they should have been dry.. the boys enjoyed this, so it may be worth a do-over. I also had to let them dry for 3 days and they still aren't totally dry. Perhaps "baking" in the sun would have helped.... or better yet... in the oven.
*This is a rare "Thomas the Tank Engine" fossil made by #1 who is having a hard time handing the trains over to #3...

No comments: