Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Family Camping Tips (Part 3)



Mom is on Vacation Too!
Both my mother and mother-in-law hate camping with a fierceness that my words alone can not convey. Why? Well, the sad fact is that the jobs of housekeeper, chef, cruise director, nurse and referee all seem to fall on Mom’s shoulders. Having seen my own mom live through that, I see her point. I, however, choose not to fall into that trap. I’ve found that with a little preparation, planning and organization I can relax and enjoy my vacation too!

*Get organized! Make lists - lots of lists. What to pack, what to buy, and don’t foget to plan the menu. There will be lots of prep and packing tips in my next blog entry.

*Delegate. Give everyone some jobs to do. For some reason I’ve never figured out, kids are more willing to help out at camp - even it they don’t at home.

*Do your Homework. When it comes to meals do your prep at home where you have the conveniences of all your gadgets … and running water. Store your chopped, seasoned and measured ingredients in Ziploc bags - don’t forget to label them! Add marinades to your meats right in the bag. If your trip is more than a couple of days or its is really warn out, freeze your prepared meats for the later part of your trip . They will defrost before you need them and help keep the other food cold.

*Caveman like fire! Men seem to be drawn to the fire. Add in some raw meat and most men are glad to do the cooking. Cooking directly over the fire or in the coals also cuts down on the cooking tools you need to bring as well as clean-up.

*Leave the dishwashing to the dishwasher. Use disposable plates, cups and utensils. If it is a short stay, toss the dishes into a trash bag and bring them home to wash. Cooking directly on the fire eliminates pots and pans. If you do need to was pots and pans be sure to use an environmentally friendly soap and do it in an approved area.

*Keep meals simple. There is no shame in cold cereal for breakfast or sandwiches for lunch. Put a hot dog on a stick and cook it over the fire (my kids’ favorite meal!).

Next up… some more helpful tips and hints.
 

No comments: